With well researched contents, covering vital details like
spiritual significance of the place, legends, puranas, history,
festivals and spiritual events, this CD ROM presents a
detailed coverage of the temple premises. It also exquisitely brings
to life, many pujas and utsavams of Lord Karthikeya - like...
- Thiruparamkundram : Soora Samharam, Chariot Festival and Laksha archana (worship to Lord Muruga by hundred thousand names)
Such rare footages produce spiritual ecstasy in one's mind, even if they are
viewed repeatedly !
- Thiruchendur : Swing Festival (Oonjal Sevai - where Lord Muruga swings with his consort in a highly tranquill atmosphere)
- Palani : The Golden Chariot Festival (A very famous occation in which golden image of the Lord goes around the temple in Gold Plated Chariot)
- Swamimalai : The Soora Vahana Festival (Lord Muruga is seated above the Asura Soorapadhman and is taken around the temple)
- Thiruthani : Mirror Festival (Kannadi Sevai - where the Lord's Six faces are exposed through a mirror and worshipped)
- Pazhamudhircholai : Bathing Festival (Abhishekam - where the Lord's image is bathed in several holy waters, amidst the veda chanting - Sri Rudhram and Chamakam)
Peace and tranquility are the possible benefits of viewing the CD contents - be it in
a group during small functions or alone- in solitude in the
background of darkness. For kids- it will be as much fun as
watching the cartoons - if only the parents take time to explain
the CD contents to their kids with some interest.
To know more about the CD ROM - Click here
To view some of the screenshots from this CD ROM - Click here
To download a demo of this CD ROM - Click here
To purchase this CD ROM - Click here
HISTORY OF THE TEMPLE:
Legend has it that Idumban,
a disciple of Sage Agasthayar, while carrying two hillocks by
the name Sivagiri and Sakthigiri, on his shoulders as Kavadi,
wanted to rest for a while and placed these hillocks on the
ground. Lord Muruga, mischievously immobilized these hillocks
and Idumban could carry the Kavadi no further.
Following this as a tradition, the Muruga Bakthas carry Kavadis of milk,
Sandalwood, Flowers etc.
Scriptures show that Cheaman Perumal, a ruler of Kerala, built
the main temple sometime in the 7th Century AD. Kings Jadavarman
and Krishnadevaraya are known to have generously donated for
the temple construction. The Nayakars and Nagarathar community
rulers were greatly involved in the construction of certain
parts of the temple. The other portions of the temple was constructed
in the period of Chera Kings during their rule of South Kongu
Nadu. In the scriptures found in the sanctum sanctorium (Garbhagraham)
dated 13th century it is known that Pandiyan Kings, Chola Kings
also contributed greatly for the festivals of this temple and
worshiped Lord Muruga.
Thai pusam or Thai Poosam and Panguni Uthiram are celebrated with
grandeur. Falling on the day of Poosam star, during the month
of Thai - sometime during the end of January, Thai Pusam, is
a Murugan festival celebrated all over the world. Devotees are
known to reach the temple on foot even from cities as far as
Chennai( Madras) or Tirunelveli. This by itself is evidence
of the devout prayers and the Graceful Blessings of the Lord.
PLACES OF LOCAL IMPORTANCE AT PALANI:
Periyanayagi Amman Kovil
Lakshminaryana Perumal Temple
Pattathu Vinayagar Kovil
HOW TO REACH ?
Links to Tour & Travel Agencies
WHERE TO STAY ?
Links to sites with details of Tiruparamkunram / Madurai Hotels and Lodges
1. The Temple has accommodations and one can write to :
The Superintendent - Dandayudhapani Nilaiyam
Arulmigu Dandayudhapani Swami Tirukkovil
Palani - 624601 TamilNadu,India Tel.(91-4545) 42235
Or visit their website at :
2. Tourist Bungalow Complex, West Veli Street
Madurai. Phone Madurai 22957
3. Tourist Information Centre, Railway Junction,
Madurai, Phone (Madurai) 24535
4. HOTEL GANPAT PALANI ,103 Poonga Road , Tel 42294
or visit :
5. NEW TIRUPUR LODGE , 1 Adivaram Road,
OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS ON PALANI:
Palani - Tel 42303
LINKS TO OTHER MURUGAN TEMPLES IN ARUPADAI VEEDU: